Bonds of Brotherhood – Muhajir without a Medina
رَضِيتُ باللهِ رَبَّاً، وَبِالْإِسْلَامِ دِيناً، وَبِمُحَمَّدٍ صَلَى اللهُ عَلِيهِ وَسَلَّمَ رسول و نَبِيَّاً
(97) Thawbaan related to us; he relates from the Prophet that he said: “The width of my Pond [is as long as that] from Aden to Amman el-Balqa, and its water is whiter than milk and sweeter than honey, and its drinking-vessels are [as numerous] as the stars. Whoever drinks it shall never feel the pang of thirst again. The first to reach me at the Pond will be the indigent emigrants( Those who left home and family for Islam ) – the ruffled and untidy of hair and dirty and unkempt of attire – who cannot marry wealthy and prosperous women and for whom no doors are opened. They fulfill the rights of others, and their rights are not fulfilled.” -Ahmad, Tirmidhi, Tabarani, and Ibn-i-Maja
The Convert : a Muhajir without a Medina, without Ansaar !
Each and every one of us is living in history at this moment. We, by our daily decisions, are writing the history of eventual success or failure of Islam in America !
At this moment, there are a minimum of 30 Million Americans ready to embrace Islam. They are ready to accept Islam without long discussions, preaching, or handing-out pamphlets. They are waiting to be taken by the hand and led into Islam without struggle. The problem is, THERE IS NO FUNCTIONING COMMUNITY HERE !
The first objective of Mumineen is to gather all human brothers and sisters to the Mercy of Allah (Awal maqsid il-Mumin). Ignoring this objective will deprive the Muslims of Allah’s Mercy. The greatest Love of Allah has been gifted to Rasulullah. Allah said : “I have not sent you except as a Mercy for all in existence”. Allah has conferred the highest status to the Ummah of Muhammad as khair-ul-umoom for fulfilling our duties among humanity ( ukhrijat lin-nas ).
Describing the Muhajir and al-Medinat al-Munawwara
For Rasulullah s.a.w. and the Believers of Mecca, Islam came at the cost of being separated from their families, friends, tribes, and the existing economic system. The boycott imposed by the Quraish forbid anyone from economic dealings with Muslims, including selling them food. It prohibited anyone from Quraish to marry a Muslim. They continued their propaganda that Rasulullah was insane or practicing witchcraft ! This was in addition to the physical tortures, like the Stories of Bilal r.a., Amaar ibn Yasir r.a., and Sumayyah r.a. who became the first Shaheed of Islam.
Rasulullah showed the Muslims for all time that we must deal with such matters practically, while asking for Help from Allah ta’ala. He sent 78 men and women under Ja’far at-Tayaar to seek refuge and aid from Najashi of Habasha r.a. A few years later, they sought refuge again in Medina. Rasulullah mandated 2 institutions: Brotherhood between Muhajireen and Ansaar, and the Constitution of Medina, to facilitate the mutual security and well-being of all Muslims.
With the support of Ansaar, the Muhajireen were able to rebuild their lives, establish themselves in trade, resume family life, and continue their efforts and sacrifices to establish Deen from a secure and stable foundation. What was established in Medina was the eternal model FOR HOW TO ESTABLISH A MUSLIM COMMUNITY !
How Converts are Separated from their Natural-born People
أَمْ حَسِبْتُمْ أَن تُتْرَكُوا وَلَمَّا يَعْلَمِ اللَّهُ الَّذِينَ جَاهَدُوا مِنكُمْ وَلَمْ يَتَّخِذُوا مِن دُونِ اللَّهِ وَلَا رَسُولِهِ وَلَا الْمُؤْمِنِينَ وَلِيجَةً ۚ وَاللَّهُ خَبِيرٌ بِمَا تَعْمَلُونَ Waleeja – supporters, confidants
Allah ta’ala says : “Do you think that you will be left without (being tested) for Allah to know those of you who will strive, without taking other than Allah, His Messenger, and the Believers as Waleeja (Supporters and Confidants)”
Muslims can’t realize what it is to be alone 24/7, unless they’re a convert, or a member of a small, lonely minority. Converts are separated from our natural-born people due to:
- Having Iman, and the need to maintain it
- Having the Maqsad(Objective) of Islam, the world-view of the Mumin(Believer), while they don’t
- Having the need to avoid companionship that is detrimental to our Iman and ‘Amaal
Rasulullah has made it plain as day that Iman is a living THING inside the human heart. It will increase and decrease based on ones thoughts, efforts, and environment. As a MUSLIM, I must avoid companionship with those of my people who are driven by their own lust, ignorance, and other ills to deny Tawheed. Being friendly with them on a daily basis, as neighbors or co-workers, is more than enough. The Believer can’t SOCIALIZE with such people, nor with the Ghafileen(negligent) among the so-called Muslims.
How is the Convert Separated from the Immigrant (Colonizing) Muslims?
- Language – I DO NOT speak Urdu or Arabic. Communication is an IMPORTANT COMPONENT of friendship.
- Educational Background – I really don’t mean to be offensive, but there’s only a small percentage of Muslims who have much in education. Education in most countries is geared toward their occupations. In the U.S., if we’ve been schooled well, we’ve studied a broad array of both Physical and Humanitarian Sciences. It’s not enjoyable or stimulating to be constantly trying to communicate with someone who doesn’t have a similar background. I’ve always been humble with my Brothers, but it’s time they begin to understand that even such a seemingly trivial problem BECOMES A PAINFUL REALITY WHEN IT’S DRAWN OUT OVER 25 YEARS !
- Culture – those in the sciences say that as little as 7% of human communication is in the words we use. The other 93% is in non-verbal communication. Most of what actually takes place when people communicate is the brain activity that parses the information and seeks commonality based on life experience and cultural reference. This is probably a large part of why Muslims tend to flock within their own nationalities, even though they’re perfectly free to mingle with others. The Convert may spend most of all of his/her life feeling unfulfilled in friendship because WE NEVER REALLY CONNECT with the Colonizers.
- Purpose in Life: The convert leaves family, friends, and the people of her/his nation for the Love of Islam. The immigrant has left the destruction of their countries to settle in an organized society. 90% of them have no connection to Islam whatsoever. 90% of the remainder have only Salah and a few other basics. So, of the 1% remaining, how many have studied Islam? How many are living to see Islam established in America? How many don’t carry the baggage of their nationalistic concerns? How many do you see actually making sacrifices for Deen? How many haven’t so completely forgotten Islam that they no longer have a clear picture what the Deen is, what its Maqasid are, or how Deen works? The serious Convert is ALONE my friend !
- The Immigrant doesn’t typically offer companionship (Suhba). They’re too busy enjoying their lives in America !
So, what Becomes of a Human who is Deprived of Functioning Human Society, of Human Relationships ?
Allah ta’ala has created various systems that must function properly for human survival. The proper relationship and management of these systems is encoded in Sharia’a.
- Physical Dependencies –The sun provides energy for plant-life, so we can’t raise plants in darkness. Allah has made all living things dependent on water. Allah has made human life dependent on the womb of his Mother, and the love and protection of both Parents. In adulthood, we require food, clothing, shelter, and sexual fulfillment, all depending on Cold Hard Cash(in capitalist society). Cold Hard Cash depends on employment/business opportunity, which in turn DEPENDS ON SOCIAL CONNECTIVITY !
- Spiritual Dependencies and the Recipes of Islam – In the Qur’an and Sunnah of Rasulullah, the human being is given complete guidance to pass through this life successfully and achieve success in the Hereafter. Every part of Islam is prescribed with purpose, whether that purpose is understood or not. Salah, Siyaam, Dhikr, ‘Ilm; all of these have known purposes and benefits. When they are established properly, their benefits are realized. But a human being who is deprived of SOCIAL CONNECTIVITY will face serious challenges maintaining their Deen, 90% of which DEPENDS ON SOCIAL CONNECTIVITY.
- Social Dependencies – It can be said that 90% of the Sharia’h of Islam pertains to the various dealings between human beings. Relationships of family, neighbors, brothers, student to scholar, business partners, spouses, children, leaders, Dai’ya, the dead: all detailed in the Deen. If the convert is deprived of all these relationships, WHAT WILL REMAIN OF HIS/HER DEEN ???
- Psychological Dependencies and Development – Every human being goes through stages of life that satisfy their psychological / emotional needs. Physical security being the first requirement, followed by emotional security, social integration, and ultimately their higher purpose in life. When a convert is deprived of functioning human society, he/she will not be able to establish those required elements of human life, resulting in emotional pain and psychological damage. WHAT HORRIBLE DESTRUCTION TO A HUMAN BEING !
And so, the convert lives as a Muhajir where there is no Medina. No systematic security, no functioning society, NO ANSAAR !
The Easy Way Out : Find Excuses to Avoid Responsibility
Because Muslims have forgotten the responsibilities of Islam so long ago, working through the problems of building a Muslim community is a forgotten science. Especially forgotten is the science of dealing with human beings, particularly converts. How long has it been since Muslims received converts into Islam? What do they know about it?
In the capitalist economy, all of mankind’s efforts are on materials. How to extract the materials from the earth…how to turn the material into a commodity…how to market the commodity. Most of our occupational studies revolve around material sciences, engineering, and business…all about the conversion and sale of material objects. Who has the understanding of human beings, how humans operate, what humans require?
When confronted with the convert dilemma, the Muslim is so confused he just ducks his head, shrugs his shoulders, says “Allaho ‘alam”, and walks away. Muslims are not adapted to working to solve the problems of others, don’t have a clear understanding of human nature, and find it much easier to say “this is beyond me.” To do that, he needs an excuse to justify himself, so he looks for flaws in the convert ! Once he finds a flaw, he has his perfect excuse to walk away from the responsibility.
وَاَللَّهُ فِي عَوْنِ الْعَبْدِ مَا كَانَ الْعَبْدُ فِي عَوْنِ أَخِيهِ And Allah will aid His slave so long as he aids his brother
The Word عَوْن has a huge meaning: help, support, improve, buttress, etc.
Do we have to look far to understand why the Help of Allah is no longer with the Muslim?
The “Muslim” Communities Do NOT Serve the Interest of Converts !
The consensus of converts across America is “we don’t have Brothers, we don’t have a community”. If the so-called Muslim communities do not serve the interests of converts, HOW DO THEY SERVE ISLAM ??? Whose interests are served here ?
The answer is in the words ME and MY. I, the Muslim, ran away from MY destroyed country and MY people to make MY life better in America, to avoid the responsibilities of rebuilding Islam in MY homeland. In America, I got MY degree, started MY business, bought MY car, built MY house, made MY children with MY wife, and really enjoy doing things MY way ! So, the masjid must serve MY interests, i.e., whatever I think is important. MY opinions are enjoyable to ME, so I can open MY mouth really big and tell everyone MY OPINION. If there is a project I am interested in, I can make MY fundraiser for MY project. This way I can spend MY entire life thinking I did good, because I always did what I wanted and found excuses in Deen for MY whims. And would you please donate generously for the people of MY nation whom I left behind in MY destroyed country when I came running to America to enjoy MY life !!!
Please point to me the Muslim who has not lived his life according to ME and MY ! I really want to meet him !
This is how a convert can live 25 years without anyone ever approaching him to sincerely make sure he is doing ok, establishing his life as a Muslim ! How will I have time to think about a convert? All I have time for is ME and MY !!!
Enough said, or shall I continue ?Maqsid(Objective) of my Program: To Build a Functional Community that Will Allow Americans to Live as Muslims by Maqsid: To Revive the Sunnah of Brotherhood, Social Responsibility, and Properly Receiving Converts into Islam